Alien Con Cookie Notice
Last updated: 1 January 2020
2. What are cookies and what cookies are used by our site
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your device when you visit a Site. Cookies are widely used by Site owners in order to make their Sites work, or to work more efficiently, to provide reporting information and to allow a website to recognize you as a user when you return to the website, either for the duration of your visit.
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary in order to enable you to move around our Sites, provide you with services available through our Sites and to use some of their features, such as access to secure areas. As these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the Sites to you, if this category of cookie is disabled, certain functionality may become unavailable.
- Performance and Functionality Cookies: These cookies are used to enhance the performance and functionality of our Sites but are non-essential to their use. However, without these cookies, certain functionality may become unavailable.
- Analytics and customization cookies: These cookies collect information that is used to help us understand how our Sites are being used, how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our Sites for you. However, without these cookies, certain functionality may become unavailable.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on our Sites through third-party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes. However, without these cookies, certain functionality may become unavailable.
3. What about other tracking technologies, like web beacons?
Cookies are not the only way to recognize or track visitors to a Site. We may use other, similar technologies from time to time, like web beacons (sometimes called “tracking pixels” or “clear gifs”). These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognize when someone has visited our Sites or opened an e-mail that we have sent them. This allows us, for example, to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our Sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our Sites from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, to improve site performance, and to measure the success of e-mail marketing campaigns. In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies will impair their functioning.
4. Do you serve targeted advertising?
Third parties may serve cookies on your computer or mobile device to serve advertising through our Sites. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other websites in order to personalize content and provide relevant advertisements about goods and services that you may be interested in. They may also employ technology that is used to measure the effectiveness of advertisements. This can be accomplished by their using cookies or web beacons to collect information about your visits to our Sites and third party. The information collected through this process does not enable us or them to identify your name, contact details or other personally identifying details unless you choose to provide these.
5. How can I control cookies?
You have the right to decide whether to accept or reject cookies.
The various browsers provide different procedures to manage your settings. Click on any of the browser links for instructions.
In addition, most advertising networks offer you a way to opt-out of targeted advertising. For more information or to opt-out of certain online behavioral advertising, please visit http://www.aenetworks.com/adchoices.
Facebook is an advertising partner and may collect and use data to display advertisements on all A+E Networks’ digital websites and apps. For more information and to control the ads you see, visit https://m.facebook.com/ads/audience_network.
Depending on your mobile device or other internet-connected device, you may also be able to reset the device’s advertising identifier at any time by accessing the privacy settings.
- iOS based device, please visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205223.
- Android based device (including Kindle), please visit http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/technologies/ads/.
- Xbox or Windows based device, please visit http://choice.microsoft.com/en-US/opt-out.
- Amazon Kindle, please visit http://www.amazon.com/gp/dra/info.
- Roku device, please visit: https://docs.roku.com/published/userprivacypolicy/en/us
- Samsung, please visit: https://www.samsung.com/us/account/privacy-policy/samsungads/
If you use a device based on another platform, you should check the provider’s instructions for opting
6. How often will you update this Cookie Notice?
The date at the top of this Cookie Notice indicates when it was last updated.
7. Where can I get further information?