A&E Television Networks LLC (“A&E”)
Privacy Notice – Lifetime Behind the Scenes
November 30 2018
- SCOPE OF THIS NOTICE
Welcome to A+E Networks. The Notice below explains how A+E Television Networks, LLC collects, uses and shares information about you when you interact with our Site. This Notice describes how we use personal information we collect from your use of our Site, including tracking technologies, cookies and browsing data, the measures we take to protect your information, and how to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
A+E respects your right to privacy. Please read this Notice carefully to understand our practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. Click on the sections below to learn more about this Notice:
Types of information we collect and why
How we share your information
Legal basis for processing personal information (EEA visitors only)
Storage and security of your personal information
Cookies and other tracking technologies
International data transfers
Your data protection rights
Links to third party sites
Your California privacy rights
Changes to our Notice
- TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND WHY
The personal information that we collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
- Information that you provide voluntarily
You may choose to send us personal information voluntarily, for example if you contact us to report a problem, send us feedback, request technical support or in relation to any other comments or queries that you may send to us in relation to this Site.
- Information that we collect automatically
When you visit our Site, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area (“EEA“), this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Site, including the pages accessed and links clicked (including date and time), videos, shows or content you watch or interact with on our Site, pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Site, where they come from, and what content on our Site is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality, security and relevance of our Site to our visitors.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology” below [link].
Regardless of how we have received your information, we use your personal information in the following ways:
- To enable us to provide and maintain our Site, including Site administration and internal operations such as troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- To improve our Site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device of choice;
- To carry out market research and to improve existing or develop new products and services;
- To notify you about changes to our Site;
- To keep our Site safe and secure; and
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
In general, we will use the personal information we collect from you only for the purposes described in this Notice, or for purposes that we explain to you at the time we collect your personal information.
We may share or disclose your personal information with the following categories of recipients:
- To our group companies, third-party service providers and partners who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our Site, for market research assistance, or for analytics and search engine services to improve and optimize our Site), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this Notice or notified to you when we collect your personal information.
- To any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third-party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights or those of our customers or other third parties, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person.
- To an actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any actual or proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Notice;
- To any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
- LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION (EEA VISITORS ONLY)
If you are a visitor from the EEA, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only (i) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, (ii) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights, or (iii) where we have your consent to do so.
If we ask you to provide personal information to perform a contact with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), this interest will normally be to operate our Site, to provide you with our content and to communicate with you as necessary to provide our services to you and for our legitimate commercial interests, for instance, when responding to your queries, improving our Site, undertaking marketing, or for the purposes of detecting or preventing illegal activities. We may have other legitimate interests and if appropriate we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “Contact Us” heading below [link].
- STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
- What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used by website owners in order to make their websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information.
There are several types of cookies:
Session cookies expire at the end of your browser session and allow us to link your actions during that particular browser session.
Persistent cookies are stored on your device, and they remain there when you close your web browser. The cookies can be read by the website that created them when you visit that website again.
First-party cookies are set by the Site owner, in this case, A+E Networks®.
Third-party cookies are set by parties other than the Site owner. Third-party cookies enable third-party features or functionality to be provided on or through the Site (e.g., advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognize your computer both when it visits the Site in question and also when it visits certain other websites.
Cookies can be disabled or removed by tools that are available in most commercial browsers. The preference for each browser you use will need to be set separately and different browsers offer different functionality and options.
We use first-party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are required for technical reasons in order for our Site to operate, and we refer to these as “essential” or “strictly necessary” cookies. Other cookies may be served by third parties through our Site for advertising, analytics and other purposes.
The specific types of first- and third-party cookies served through our Site and the purposes they perform are described below:
Strictly Necessary Cookies:
These cookies are strictly necessary in order to enable you to move around our Site, provide you with services available through our Site and to use some of their features, such as access to secure areas. As these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the Site to you, if this category of cookie is disabled, certain functionality (like navigating our Site) may become unavailable.
These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our Site is being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are. However, without these cookies, certain functionality (like analytics) may become unavailable.
- What about other tracking technologies, like web beacons?
Cookies are not the only way to recognize or track visitors to our Site. We may use other, similar technologies from time to time, like web beacons (sometimes called “tracking pixels” or “clear gifs”). These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognize when someone has visited our Site or opened an email that we have sent them. This allows us, for example, to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our Site to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to improve site performance, and to measure the success of e-mail marketing campaigns. In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies will impair their functioning.
- Do we serve targeted advertising?
No, we do not serve targeted advertising through this Site.
- How can I control cookies?
You have the right to decide whether to accept or reject cookies.
The various browsers provide different procedures to manage your settings. Click on any of the browser links for instructions.
- [For] iOS-based device[s], please visit support.apple.com/en-us/HT202074.
- [For] Android based device[s] (including Kindle), please visit google.com/intl/en/policies/technologies/ads/.
- [For] Xbox- or Windows- based device[s], please visit choice.microsoft.com/en-US/opt-out.
- [For] Amazon Kindle[s], please visit amazon.com/gp/dra/info.
- [For] Roku device[s], please visit roku.com/about/privacy.
If you use a device based on another platform, you should check the provider’s instructions for opting out.
- INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
Specifically, our website servers are located in the USA, and our group companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries.
However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Notice. These include implementing an intra-group data transfer agreement incorporating the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses for transfers of personal information between our group companies, which require all group companies to protect personal information they process from the EEA in accordance with European Union data protection law. A copy of our intra-group data transfer agreement can be provided upon request.
Where required by applicable data protection law, we have implemented similar appropriate safeguards with our third-party service providers and partners and further details can be provided upon request.
- DATA RETENTION
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
- YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
If you are a resident of the EEA, subject to applicable law, you may have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact Us” heading below [link].
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact Us” heading below [link].
- You have the right to opt out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt out” link in the marketing emails we send you, or by logging into your account and managing your email preferences
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Our Site may contain links to websites and apps operated by a third party. If you follow a link to any third-party website or app, please note that the privacy notice of that third party will apply. We are not responsible for the collection, use or sharing of your information by these third parties.
- YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY. Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code requires select businesses to disclose policies relating to the sharing of certain categories of your Personal Information with third parties. If you reside in California and have provided your Personal Information to A+E Networks, you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of Personal Information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at one of the following addresses: DMC@aenetworks.com or
A&E Television Networks, LLC
Attn: California Privacy Rights
235 East 45th Street
New York, NY 10017
Attention: Privacy and Compliance Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs
Within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of Personal Information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of those third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified in this section, if not labeled or sent properly, or does not have complete information.
- CHANGES TO OUR NOTICE
We may update this Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. However, when we update our Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Notice.
- CONTACT US
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Notice are welcomed and should be addressed to:
Email: DMC@aenetworks.com (subject line: “Notice Contact”)
©2018 A&E Televisions Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.